Wildfire/Prescribed Fire Training
- Wednesday, 06/07/2023 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, 11/14/2023 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
This all-day class, taught by Ralph Sheffer of the WIDNR, is for active volunteers who have been involved in prescribed burning and brush pile burning with Dane County Parks, and who don't already have NWCG S-130/190 fire certifications.
Fire can be very beneficial for Wisconsin's native habitats, but it can also be very harmful when not managed correctly. This training will help attendees understand the ins and outs of fire management, commonly used terms and practices in fire control, safety, and much more.
Starting in 2025, we will be requiring any volunteer who wants to burn with us to have either this 1-day training, OR NWCG S-190 and S-130 certifications.
This training will cover:
- Wisconsin State Statutes for wildland fire
- Wildland fire behavior
- Rx Burn Ignition Techniques
- Wildland fire terminology
- Locating and sizing up the fire
- Wildland fire suppression methods
- Mop-up and patrol
- Firefighter Safety
Important to note:
- Please do NOT sign up for this training if:
- you have gone through this same training in the past (January 2022)
- you already completed NWCG S-130 and S-190, have taken the field portion of these classes, and have the certificate.
- Please DO sign up for this training if:
- you have no official National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) fire training, and are not planning on getting a S-190 and S-130 Certification.
- For those who have taken the online portions of NWCG S-130 but do not have the field component yet (completed certification), we are working on organizing a field component to finalize those certifications. This class does not count as a substitute for the field portion of S-130.
Registration is required: Please register here: https://signup.com/go/gteaiOw
- Sign in starts at 8:30, with the official class starting at 9am.
- This class will be indoors with participants sitting for most of the day. Bring notetaking supplies and whatever you need to be comfortable for an all-day training.
- Participants must stay the whole day to fulfill the training requirement (starting in 2025).
We will have non-vegetarian, vegetarian, and vegan lite* options (*vegan lite - hummus, veggies, nuts, etc.). If you have additional dietary wants or needs please bring your own lunch and snacks.
The Lussier Family Heritage Center 3101 Lake Farm Rd. Madison WI, 53711.
Meeting in the upper level Heritage Room.
ContactLars Higdon (608) 286-9497 firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: Training, Volunteer