The Dane County Land & Water Resources Department (LWRD) helps guide the management of the lakes of Dane County. Visit our About Our Waters webpage for general lake/stream/watershed information. Additional webpages and contact information are provided below.
LWRD is responsible for maintaining lake levels for the four major lakes in Dane County: Lake Mendota, Lake Monona, Lake Waubesa and Lake Kegonsa. Daily and historical lake level information for these lakes can be found on our Lake Levels & Information webpage.
- Slow-no-wake restrictions for boaters
- Dane County Lake Level Management Guide for the Yahara Chain of Lakes (PDF)
- Lake Level Management on the Yahara Chain of Lakes (PDF)
- Yahara Lakes Water Level Advisory Group (YLAG2)
Aquatic Plant Management
LWRD manages an aquatic plant harvesting program for waters in Dane County. Find out more about the program including current harvester locations, pier pickup dates, harvesting priority plans and maps on our Aquatic Plant Management Harvesting Program webpage.
The Integrated Nowcast/Forecast Operation System for Yahara Lakes (INFOS) provides information on the Yahara Lakes including:
- Surface Water (current conditions)
- Nowcast Models (hydrologic, hydraulic, hydrodynamic)
- Water Level Forecast
Please contact LWRD for general lake questions or to report a nagivation hazard in the water such as floating or submerged logs, rocks or debris. Include a description of the type and size of the hazard and its location.