Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Dane County Land & Water Resources Department

How To Submit a Permit

Our office is currently CLOSED to walk-in traffic due to COVID-19 precautionary measures, however staff continue to review permit submittals and revisions and are available during normal business hours by phone or email.

Digital submittals are preferred at this time, however hard copy submittals can be submitted to our office through the US mail.  Please note, there may be a delay in processing for submittals through the mail. Instructions for digital submittals for 1) Erosion, Shoreland and Stormwater Permits and 2) Manure StorageCertificates of Use and Winter Spreading Permits are listed below. Permit fees should be mailed to our office or you can request an invoice to pay by credit card. Checks should be made out to “Dane County Treasurer."

Do I Need a Permit?    Permits & Application Materials


Erosion, Shoreland and Stormwater Permits

Water Resource Engineering staff review Erosion Control & Shoreland Erosion Control, Shoreland Mitigation, and Stormwater Management Permits. Digital submittals for these permits can be submitted:

Depending on the municipality in which your proposed project is located, you may need to also apply for one of the permits listed in the next section or with your local municipality. View this document for information on where to apply given your location: Where to Apply for a Permit (PDF)


Manure Storage, Certificates of Use and Winter Spreading Permits

Land Conservation staff review Manure Storage Permits (construction & closure), Manure Storage Certificates of Use, and Winter Spreading Permits. Digital submittals for these permits can be submitted: