Equity and Inclusion Resources
The department's equity and inclusion team has compiled a number of resources for staff to explore the idea of equity and inclusion as it relates to the outdoors. These resources are posted below for staff as well as other interested county residents. Staff also created an Equity BINGO worksheet that can be used to help explore the resources below.
- Land & Water Resources Department Equity and Inclusion Plan (PDF) and Summary Outline (PDF)
- A book with an equity and inclusion focus. Here is a suggested list (PDF) of books for kids and adults. Some are available for staff to check out from our main office. Others can be found through the public library system.
- Articles written by Simpson Street Free Press student writers during their internship at the Land & Water Resources Department
- To Diversify the Outdoors, We Have to Think About Who We're Excluding (Outside)
- A Black Traveler Confronts Racism at a Montana Resort (Outside)
- The Green Insiders' Club Report (PDF)
- REI Presents: Within Reach (YouTube)
- REI Presents: Brothers of Climbing (YouTube)
- Diversity is Necessary for Human Evolution: Susana Rinderle (YouTube)
- Jay Smooth - How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Discussing Race (YouTube)
Participate in an event geared towards equity and inclusion. Like or follow a group's social media page to stay up to date with their work and upcoming events. You do not need a Facebook account to access a group's events page. Places to check for events include:
- Race to Equity (Facebook)
- Equity Rocks (Facebook)
- Eco Equity (Facebook)
- Outdoor Afro - WI/IA (Facebook)
- UW Multicultural Student Center (Facebook / webpage)
- Step Up: Equity Matters (Facebook / webpage)
- Dane County Office of Equity and Inclusion (OEI website)
A new food from a different culture. Below are lists of some local restaurants:
- The Implicit Association Test online. This test measures attitudes and beliefs that people may be unwilling or unable to report.
If you find other resources that would be useful to include, please email them to us.